John and Charles Edgar Prentice of Scotland & IA
John and Charles Edgar Prentice of Scotland and Iowa
There were 2 brothers surnamed Prentice who were born in Uddingston,
Scotland which lies about 10 miles SE of central Glasgow. The names of their
parents are not yet known, and it is likely that there were also sisters whose
names are not yet known. The brothers both emmigrated to America from
Uddingston, Scotland about 1852, they were:
- John Prentice, b. c. 1822, Uddingston, Scotland. . . . . . . . . . .
- Charles Edgar Prentice, b. c. 1822, Uddingston, Scotland . . . . . .
2. John Prentice, b. in 1822 in Uddingston, Scotland. John
immigrated to America about 1848 and died in 1870. We do not know his place of
death, but it may have been Delaware Co., IA where his wife, Margaret, and some
of his children are buried. John is buried in the Oak Hill Cem. near Colesburg.
He married, first, Margaret Rae, born, 1827. She died in 1860 and is
buried in Oak Hill Cem., unk., Delaware, IA.
3. Charles Edgar Prentice. Born, 1822, in Uddingston, Scotland. He
came to America about 1849. He may have settled in Delaware Co., IA where his
brother, John lived. He married Sarah (surname unknown). Children:
Lawton White Prentice . He was b. 30 Nov 1849 in Dutchess
Co., NY and d. 3 Jan 1944. By 1876 he was living in IA (perhaps Delaware Co.,
where his uncle John lived) where his son, Marion, was born. He married, first,
Emma Jane Keller, b. 30 Mar 1850, PA (per 1880 Delaware Co., IA census
which shows her with her son, Charles, but does not show her husband, Lawton).
- Lawton W.Prentice, b. 30 Nov. 1849 d. 3 Jan. 1944. . . . . . . . .
- Charles E. Prentice, born, 2 Aug 1873. The 1880 Delaware Co. IA census
shows his birthplace as "Dekota." . . . . . . .
- Marion O. Prentice, born, 6 Nov 1876. . . . . . .
Lawton m., second, Lucy Ellen Lees (per US Marriage Index) either in
1881 in Cass County, IA or, more likely on 20 Nov 1880 in Delaware Co., IA.
Lawton married, apparently third, Margaret/Maggie, based on the 1920
census for Monroe Co., WI which shows her b. c. 1860, in WI.
Marion Orthelo Prentice. Born, 6 Nov 1876, in IA and d. 3 Oct 1951.
Buried at Mt. Hope, Sparta. Census: 1920, in Sparta, Monroe, WI. Nancy Ehler's
email of 20 Oct 2001 says he m. Florence Estella Balch, b. 9 Nov 1886. She was
b. 9 Nov 1884, d. 8 Jan 1935, as a young man he was a stagecoach guard and later
was in the upholstery business in Sparta, WI. and he made a couple of violins,
one of which is in Victor Prentice's possession; it is made of pine and was
signed and dated 1896. Children:
- Madeline Mae Prentice, b. 1 Dec 1903, Sheldon, O'Brian Co., IA and d.
19 Nov 1971, in WI. Census: 1920, in Sparta, Monroe, WI.
- Bertha B. Prentice. b. 4 Sept. 1906, Gann Valley SD. d. 18 Oct. 1989 in
WI. m. Cyrus McCumber. Census: 1920, in Sparta, Monroe, WI.
- Merold Oscar Prentice, b. 1 Jan 1908, Gann Valley, SD and d. 24 May 1963
in IL. Census: 1920, in Sparta, Monroe, MI. m. Irene - divorced Children:
- Leonard 12-12-34 b. Independence, IA d. 1-21-35
- Margaret 7-27-37 b. Independence, IA M. Billie Lawson (1954), Wendleyn
Carter (1960), Cecil Johnson
- Sharon Holtfreter b. 3-1-42 Waukegan, IL M. Roy Rogers (div-1969),
- Richard James b. 10-24-51 m. Caroline
- Debbie Sue Lawson b. 10-20-54
- Billie Lawson b. 9-24-55
- Cindy Lawson b. 2-28-
- Dennis W. Rogers b. 5-14-56
- Penny Ann Rogers b. 10-23-57
- Kathy Sue Rogers b. 2-4-63
- Mildred Alena Prentice, b. 15 Apr 1910, Gann Valley, SD. d. WI. Census:
1920, in Sparta, Monroe, WI. She m. Ferd Powell and had a son:
- Gerald William Powell. Wife Vicki Ann Graham
v. Myron Leroy Prentice. Born 20 Apr 1912, LaPorte, MN and d. 21 Oct 1982
iin NE. Census: 1920, in Sparta, Monroe, WI. He m. Nancy Elna Platt. Children:
- Nancy Ruth Prentice, b. 10 Oct 1950. She m. Mr. Ehlers.
- Curtis Roy Prentice, b. 15 Aug 1948
- Elaine Elizabeth Prentice, b. 20 Jan 1956. She m. Dan Cubrich.
vi. Harvey Hanson Prentice, b. 16 Aug 1914, LaPorte, MN and d. 18 Nov 1978,
in WI. Census: 1920, in Sparta, Monroe, WI. Children:
- Judy Louise Prentice, b. 1 Aug 1947.
- James Alan Prentice, b. 27 Oct 1958.
- Robert William, b. 25 Jun 1965 - stillborn
vii. Vernette Lillian Prentice, b. 25 Mar 1917, Farmers Valley, WI. Census:
1920, in Sparta, Monroe, WI. d. May 13, 2008. Vernette m. Percy Wickersheim. d.
2-15-62. Both buried Elton Cemetery, Elton. Wi. *Children:
- Terry Melvin Wickersheim.
- William/Bill Percy Wickersheim.
- Beverly June Wickersheim.
viii. Lewis W. Prentice, b. 18 May 1920, Sparta, Wi d. 25 Dec. 1997 in FL.
m. Mary in England 1945
son - Victor
m. Maurine in Illinois (about 1965)
ix. Vern Allen Prentice, b. 20 May 1925, Sparta, WI and d. 16 Apr 1990. in
WI. He m. Beverly Koch. Children:
- Delma Marie Prentice. Deceased by 2002 and bur. in Arlington National
- Marvin William Prentice.
- Robin Ann Prentice. (female)
- Bradley Allen Prentice.
- Gerald Raymond Prentice.
- Victor Prentice - 1988-2003 near Mountain View, AR 72560. [Primate (AKA
Presiding Bishop) 1997-2008] of the Holy Eastern Orthodox Catholic and
Apostolic Church in North American, Inc., a canonically established orthodox
Church. Archbishop Victor served as Metropolitan 1997-2008, Archbishop-president to date.